Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Women


Two friends of mine invited me to go see the movie The Women on Sunday. It was a much needed break from reality - and now that I am beginning to make some Oklahoma friends I hope to do it more often.



This is for sure a chic flick and a very empowering one at that. In this movie Meg Ryan's character had fallen into the stay-at-home wife/mother syndrome and found herself with bad hair, nails, clothing and the last person she took care of. She finds out her husband is cheating on her and sinks herself into a deep depression that no one but her can get herself out of. The key words is "her." Yes, she was devestated by the infidelity, but came to realize - how can her husband love her when she doesn't love herself? She gave up her in the midst of their life together.

I sometimes relate to this movie way too much. I am so scared of loosing me in all this doctor and motherhood life I am living.

So in my favorite part of the movie she decides to snap out of it and make herself happy. She makes a bulletin board that says at the top "What Do I Want?" and begins pinning pictures and inspiring words on it! This is what I am going to do. Positive in = positive out! I believe in this and I will be a success at - WHAT I WANT!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Didn't know you started a blog. :) Glad to find it, and I'll have to subscribe to it now.
I love the post about the OU game. And the photo of AJ in the Chick-fil-A play area. (You know I love me some CFA.) Glad to hear your house is almost ready!
And I really like the post about The Women. That is so true - how can her husband love her if she doesn't even love herself? I also have those same fears about losing myself during these intense child-rearing years.
I like the idea of the bulletin board. Maybe I'll start a journal like that? I already have a file of ads and photos showing outfits and body types that I want to aspire to.
Anyway, I'll be back to read your blog more!